Music is as much a part of the Roanoke Region as the mountains that frame the surroundings. From nationally renowned orchestras to talented a capella, there is always music in the air. While many productions celebrate the masterpieces of the Western tradition, others bring to life sounds from foreign cultures.
With so much music in the Roanoke Region, there are plenty of places to find it.
- Buchanan Theatre is a multi-purpose venue that hosts live performances from local musicians to the various choirs and musical ensembles from throughout the region. 19778 Main St., Buchanan
- Jefferson Center and Shaftman Performance Hall was originally constructed as the Jefferson High School auditorium in 1924 and now features world class performances in a beautiful and elegant hall. Experience great art in Roanoke’s Downtown West. 541 Luck Ave., Roanoke
- Berglund Performing Arts Theatre is a large auditorium that has featured performances from musicians such as BB King, James Taylor, and many more. It is also the primary venue for Opera Roanoke and the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra. 710 Williamson Rd, Roanoke
- Berglund Coliseum hosts national acts with seating for up to 10,500 people. 710 Williamson Rd, Roanoke
- Elmwood Park features a 4,000+ capacity amphitheater with cascading grass terraces for seating, a state-of-the-art illuminated fountain in front of the stage, tree-lined walkway with decorative fountains, and art walk. 700 S. Jefferson Street, Roanoke
- Harvester Performance Center hosts national and local acts in an intimate venue. 450 Franklin Street, Rocky Mount
- Historic Masonic Theatre and Ampitheatre hosts live music and theatrical performances. 540 Main Street, Clifton Forge
- The Spot on Kirk is an intimate music venue and gathering place on Kirk Avenue in Downtown Roanoke, fueled by Down by Downtown. A wide variety of local and national musicians take the stage to provide a live-music experience like nowhere else. 22 Kirk Ave., Roanoke
- Salem Civic Center is known for hosting performances from some of the most popular musical groups from Widespread Panic to Hank Williams Jr. 1001 Boulevard, Salem
Crooked Road Music Trail
Explore Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail as it winds through the mountains of Southwest Virginia. Listen to the songs that grew out of the Blue Ridge Mountains and experience the bluegrass, old time, and traditional country music that is as beautiful and rugged as the landscape itself.
Orchestras and Ensembles
Experience the dramatic symphony orchestra, or engage in the melodic expressions of a talented string ensemble. .
- Roanoke Symphony Orchestra is a nationally renowned symphony orchestra that performs throughout the year. From John Haydn to John Williams, the RSO performs Baroque to Cinematic masterpieces. Not to mention a wonderful Christmas performance that captures the spirit of the season. 541 Luck Ave., Roanoke
- The Alleghany Highlands Orchestra is a community ensemble that performs throughout the year, including a popular holiday production. 450 W Main Street, Suite 201, Covington
Representing the oldest form of musical expression, voice ensembles are everywhere. From Gregorian Chants to modern a capella, the Roanoke Region is rich in the art of song.
- Alleghany Highlands Choral is a community group that performs with the Alleghany Orchestra. 450 W Main Street, Suite 201, Covington
- Opera Roanoke is a world-renowned opera performing traditional opera and modern pieces throughout the year. 108 First St., The Dumas Center, Roanoke