You do not have to travel to New York City to experience great theater. The Roanoke Region hosts everything from Broadway shows to local originals. Get your fix of stand up comedy, music, and poetry readings at No Shame Theatre or join the cast at any of a community theater performing Shakespeare to Neil Simon.
Bringing modern classics and opening night originals, professional theater companies celebrate the art of drama while providing entertainment for the region and beyond.
- Jefferson Center offers a beautiful live theater experience in the heart of Roanoke’s Downtown West at the historic Shaftman Performance Hall. Throughout the year Jefferson Center features local acting troupes as well as performances from around the world. 541 Luck Ave., Roanoke
- Mill Mountain Theatre is a professional, year-round, regional theater with roots in the community and excellence as its prime objective. 1 Market Square SE, Roanoke
- Roanoke Children’s Theatre provides professional theatre productions and education for kids, their schools and their families. 108 1st Street NW, Roanoke
- Berglund Performing Arts Theatre regularly hosts traveling musicals and large stage productions. Throughout the year the stage is set for a dramatic experience like no other. 710 Williamson Rd, Roanoke
Regional and Community Theater
Community theater provides the opportunity for members of the community to get involved. Whether productions of classics from Sophocles to Shakespeare, or the modern masterpieces of Tennessee Williams and Arthur Miller, theaters in the Roanoke Region are also the stages for those that just need to get something off their chest.
- Alleghany Highlands Community Theatre presents a Young People Theatre Series displaying the talent of the community. Puts on several productions a year. 450 W Main St., Suite 201, Covington
- Attic Productions provides an opportunity for youth and adults to get involved in the performing arts. The theater maintains a regular schedule of shows. 7490 Roanoke Rd, Fincastle
- Kevin Jones Performing Arts Studio offers musical and theater training for children and teens. Dance instruction focuses on theater dance. 6079 Oriole Lane, Roanoke
- No Shame Theatre on Studio Roanoke is an open stage, giving time to everyone who wants to perform. Performances include short skits, musical performances, poetry readings and more. Fridays at 11 p.m. Doors open at 10 p.m. for piece submissions. Waldron Stage, 20 E. Church Ave., Roanoke
- Showtimers of the Roanoke Valley presents high-quality, not-for-profit theater. Aspiring actors and hobbyists combine to perform throughout the year. 2067 McVitty Rd, Roanoke
From student originals to interpretations of celebrated works, college theater in the Roanoke Region provides a unique experience.
- Blue Ridge Dinner Theatre at Ferrum College is a regional theatre that presents five comedies and musicals during a summer season and tours the very popular Jack Tales on a year-round basis. Housed at Ferrum College, the Blue Ridge Dinner Theatre’s performers come from around the nation. 275 Ferrum Mountain Rd., Ferrum
- Theatre at Roanoke College hosts theatrical productions annually at the College. Theatre Roanoke College schedules performances during each semester. Students are involved in every aspect of the production-from sound to lighting to costume design and, of course, acting. 221 College Lane, Salem
- The Roanoke College Performing Arts Series brings a variety of acts each year for the community’s enjoyment. Four events are offered each academic year including concerts, theatrical and dance performances, as well as children’s shows and comedians. 221 College Lane, Salem
- Virginia Western Theatre features students and community members performing classic, contemporary, and original plays throughout the year. Productions free to the public. 3099 Colonial Ave, Roanoke • 540.857.7327
- Hollins University Theatre stages four shows a year, showcasing talented actors from the college community. 7916 Williamson Rd, Roanoke
Young thespians and veteran stars have joined forces to bring theater to everyone. From comedy to religion, historical to experimental, diverse troupes stage productions throughout the region.
- Big Lick Conspiracy is a friendly, funny, and creative theater troupe performing improvisational theater each month of the year. 20 E. Church Ave., Roanoke
- The Jack Tale Players present entertaining and educational plays throughout the region, performing stories of the Blue Ridge and the music of the mountains. Ferrum
- Mill Mountain Players takes professional theater on tour, performing at schools around region as well as venues throughout Virginia. 1 Market Sq., Roanoke