You do not have to travel to New York City to experience great talent. The Roanoke Region hosts everything from Broadway shows to local originals. Get your fix of stand up comedy, music, dance and opera. Become part of the cast at any of a community theater performing Shakespeare to Neil Simon.
- Jefferson Center offers a beautiful live theater experience in the heart of Roanoke’s Downtown West at the historic Shaftman Performance Hall. Throughout the year Jefferson Center features local acting troupes as well as performances from around the world.
- Berglund Performing Arts Theatre regularly hosts traveling musicals and large stage productions. Throughout the year the stage is set for a dramatic experience like no other.
- Berglund Center in Roanoke City hosts national acts with seating for up to 10,500 people
- Salem Civic Center is a large venue that hosts concerts and performances in the City of Salem.
- Harvester Performance Center hosts all types of live music throughout the year from internationally known artists to local performers.
- Dumas Center a performance and event venue in Historic Gainsboro near Downtown Roanoke.
- The Buchanan Theater in historic downtown Buchanan has movies and occasional live performances.
- The Grandin Theatre in the Grandin area of Roanoke City is a traditional cinema, but also hosts live events.
- The Historic Masonic Theatre and Amphitheatre offers a variety of music, performances, classes and movies in beautiful Clifton Forge.
- Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech hosts a variety of performances, exhibitions and experiences.
- Daleville Town Center Performance Pavilion is an outdoor venue in Botetourt County that hosts a variety of music and outdoor festivals.
- Elmwood Park is an outdoor amphitheater that offers performances throughout the warmer months.
- Dr. Pepper Park at the Bridges is an outdoor venue in Roanoke City that offers a variety of live music performances.
- 5 Points Music Sanctuary hosts live music but also conducts music therapy and hearing loss advocacy.
- Opera Roanoke offers compelling performances of engaging productions and programs to foster a wider appreciation of opera.
- Roanoke Symphony Orchestra offers a variety of productions and educational programs showcasing local and international talent.
- Roanoke Valley Children’s Choir has highlighted children making music for over 35 years.
- Roanoke Valley Choral Society offers a variety of choral music performances with local singers.
- The Virginia Opry is the official Opry of Virginia and the home of Virginia’s country music. Performances in Natural Bridge and Clifton Forge.
- The Crooked Road-Virginia’s Heritage Music Trail can be explored as it winds through the mountains of Southwest Virginia. Listen to the songs that grew out of the Blue Ridge Mountains and experience the bluegrass, old time, and traditional country music that is as beautiful and rugged as the landscape itself.
- Jefferson Center Music Lab-offers educational programs and opportnities for students.
Theatre and Dance
- Attic Productions provides an opportunity for youth and adults to get involved in the performing arts. The theater maintains a regular schedule of shows and is located near Fincastle in Botetourt County.
- Mill Mountain Theatre is a professional, year-round, regional theater with roots in the community and excellence as its prime objective.
- Virginia’s Children’s Theatre provides professional theatre productions and education for kids, their schools and their families.
- Roanoke Ballet Theatre is a school and professional dance company that offers a variety of classes and performances throughout the region.
- Southwest Virginia Ballet offers pre-professional dance training and performances throughout southwest Virginia.
- Kevin Jones Performing Arts Studio offers musical and theater training for children and teens. Dance instruction focuses on theater dance.
- No Shame Theatre on Studio Roanoke is an open stage, giving time to everyone who wants to perform. Performances include short skits, musical performances, poetry readings and more.
- Showtimers of the Roanoke Valley presents high-quality, not-for-profit theater. Aspiring actors and hobbyists combine to perform throughout the year.
- Blue Ridge Dinner Theatre at Ferrum College is a regional theatre that presents five comedies and musicals during a summer season and tours the very popular Jack Tales on a year-round basis. Housed at Ferrum College, the Blue Ridge Dinner Theatre’s performers come from around the nation.
- Theatre at Roanoke College hosts theatrical productions annually at the College. Theatre Roanoke College schedules performances during each semester. Students are involved in every aspect of the production-from sound to lighting to costume design and, of course, acting.
- Hollins University Theatre stages four shows a year, showcasing talented actors from the college community.
- Big Lick Conspiracy is a friendly, funny, and creative theater troupe performing improvisational theater each month of the year.
- The Jack Tale Players present entertaining and educational plays throughout the region, performing stories of the Blue Ridge and the music of the mountains in Ferrum.
- Mill Mountain Players takes professional theater on tour, performing at schools around region as well as venues throughout Virginia.