Welcome Kelsey Harrington to Get2KnowNoke this week. Kelsey is fairly new to the region, but has found plenty of ways to stay connected as a young professional in the Roanoke Region.
She works for the non-profit Sexual Assault Response and Awareness, Inc., and plays soccer, bikes, and hikes. She has three dogs with her partner – be on the lookout for a cute fur-baby photo – and enjoys hitting new places and trying new things.
Tweeting from her personal account, @kharrington6, Kelsey highlights an active and busy lifestyle, balancing homeownership, pets, and busy schedules (things almost anyone can relate to). Here’s her bio: Midwest transplant living in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains! Tweets about: #soccer #socialjustice #yp #fem2 #community
Here are a couple more facts about Kelsey.
- She loves to engage in community conversation. “I consider myself an activist who cares deeply about creating an inclusive Roanoke for all people. … I feel so lucky to live here!”
- She’s got too many favorite places in the region to list them all, but here are a few: “I would say I love hopping around between the awesome breweries in our area. Between parkway, Soaring Ridge, and Big Lick, there is always a good time to be had. I love that I can walk around downtown and always see a friendly face.”
If you are on Twitter, give @kharrington6 a follow and make sure to join the conversation this week on @get2knownoke.
Welcome Ruth Cassell to Get2KnowNoke this week. Ruth is a native Roanoke – she grew up in North Roanoke County – and networks for a living as the chief development officer at Family Service of Roanoke Valley.
This should be a fun week on Twitter as Ruth helps you get excited for the Family Service of Roanoke Valley Celebrity Tip Off, where Roanoke “stars” will shine at the event. Some of the celebrities featured include Black Dog Salvage’s Mike Whiteside and Robert Kulp, Author Beth Macy, Roanoke City’s Chris Morrill, doctors from Carilion Clinic, and more. The event is Thursday, April 28.
Ruth is high energy and the week should be a lot of fun … and make sure to ask her about how to get involved in the region. She has the inside track to volunteering and working with nonprofits.
Tweeting from her personal account, @attnanon, Ruth is on top of everything local and she’ll keep you on top of Roanoke Region happenings this week. Here’s her bio: I live in a beautiful place, work for a cause I’m passionate about–mental health–raise two handsome boys, and write when I have time! Life is good!! (As far as writing goes, her blog is Attention Anonymous.)
Here are a couple more facts about Ruth.
- While Ruth grew up in the county, she now lives near Downtown Roanoke.
- “I enjoy running and writing, and especially spending time with my family (two young boys and a hubby in the RPD Police Academy) around the valley!”
If you are on Twitter, give @attanon a follow and make sure to join the conversation this week on @get2knownoke.
Welcome Amy McArthur to Get2KnowNoke this week. You might know Amy from the Roanoke Rescue Mission, where she works behind the scenes on social media as well as writing press releases and grants.
Amy grew up in Salem and moved back to the Roanoke Region after finishing her degree in historic preservation from the University of Mary Washington. She started her career as a wedding planner before switching to the nonprofit sector where she says she loves her job!
This week she’ll tweet about everything, including Roanoke Valley Gives – which is a region-wide day of giving on Wednesday and some of her favorite things from binge watching TV shows to sampling great food to cats and Disney to hammocking.
Tweeting from her personal account, @amykmca, Amy is on top of pop culture. From memes to gifs to videos, you will find it all. (And she loves Disney!) Professionally, you find her as the voice of the Roanoke Rescue Mission on Twitter, where you can find stories of community and inspiration. Here’s her bio: UMW grad and working at @rescuemission48
Here are a couple more facts about Amy.
- What she likes about social media: “Social media is how I keep connected to people. I have friends and family all around the country and it’s a great way to keep tabs on everyone.”
- Favorite Roanoke Region place, thing, or hangout: “I love that this area has so many things to do outside. I love to spend the weekend floating down the James River or New River and just soaking in the face that I live in a beautiful place!”
If you are on Twitter, give @amykmca a follow and make sure to join the conversation this week on @get2knownoke.
Welcome Monica Brooks to Get2KnowNoke this week. If you listen to the radio, you probably know her as Miss Monica from the Danny and Zack Mornin’ Thang Show on K92 (92.3 FM). She’s part of the fun-loving, pop-culture talking, pop-music playing trio that helps you get to the office with a smile each morning.
Monica is a wife, mother, and pop culture guru. She loves to talk to people, eat plenty of great food, and not work out. This week she’s bringing that fun conversation to Get2KnowNoke. She might tweet about anything from her family, food, just happenings all over the Roanoke Region.
Tweeting from her account, @k92missmonica, Monica tweets with friends new and old; and she loves RTs. Here’s her bio: Well…hello there! I am a radio personality on VA’s number 1 radio station, WXLK K92,92.3FM.I work alongside the notorious Danny Meyers and Zack Jackson!!! Roanoke, VA! Baby!
Here are a couple more facts about Monica.
- What she likes about social media: “Connecting with people.”
- Favorite Roanoke Region places: “I love the Mil Mountain Star! The Roanoke Valley has so many hidden gems.”
If you are on Twitter, give @k92missmonica a follow and make sure to join the conversation with him this week on @get2knownoke.