A Perfect Place to Live, Work, and Play
Situated in the beautiful Blue Ridge and Allegheny Mountains, the Roanoke Region of Virginia is a community of communities working together. The region is the largest metropolitan area in Western Virginia and home to diverse communities and more than 330,000 residents.
With unmatched cultural and outdoor opportunities and an abundance of strong industry clusters, the region’s residents represent a diversity of skills and interests. Detailed information about the region and its communities is provided throughout this section.
Located along Interstates 81 and 64, the region is equidistant from New York and Atlanta; 230 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., and 250 miles west of the Port of Hampton Roads.
Minute Average Commute
Public School Systems
Colleges & Universities
- Wide range of jobs in diverse industries
- Nationally recognized training programs and facilities
- High-speed internet access with regional broadband
- Easy access to UPS and FedEx hubs (so you can get packages in and out quickly)
- Low commute times (get from home to the workplace quickly and without sitting in traffic)
- Bikeable and walkable community with plenty of downtown living options close to the metro core
- Diverse arts and cultural community
- So many outdoor recreation opportunities: cycling, fishing, water sports, hiking, camping, and more.
- Home to semi-pro baseball, hockey, and football teams; plus NCAA Sports
- Attractions include Smith Mountain Lake, Appalachian Trail, and Blue Ridge Parkway
- Cost of living below the national average
- Average commute time is 21.4 minutes (national average is 25.7 minutes)
- 25 colleges and universities within 60-mile radius
- Six public school systems with nationally recognized educational programs
- Dozens of breweries, wineries, and distilleries with outdoor seating and live music
- Robust and expanding greenway/urban trail system with more than 40 miles of paved trails
We’re here to help
The Roanoke Regional Partnership serves as the point of contact for businesses looking to relocate and expand. We are connectors who match your needs and questions with the resources and answers. We’re a one-stop-shop for learning, evaluating, and connecting with the Alleghany, Botetourt, Franklin, and Roanoke counties, cities of Covington, Roanoke, and Salem, and the town of Vinton.
Let us help you find the right site or building for companies, create custom research for your business decision, and connect you with the people and services that will help you see why the Roanoke Region is the right place.